Area Info

Marquette
Marquette, formerly North McGregor, was first discovered June 17, 1673, by Father Marquette & Joliet. In October 1800, a land grant was given to Basil Giard, in turn known as the Giard Tract. It was one of the three Spanish land grants in what is now Iowa. Marquette was born from the need of a supply point for the proposed railroad that would be passing through the